Skip to main content

Chaos

We have had an "itch" over the last 2 years that we keep thinking about scratching. Every few weeks, one of us would crack an obscene joke about wanting to sell our house and move into a home that is easier to maintain. Then we would follow that up with sending each other homes in the area we would find on zillow.

Then about 3 weeks ago we had a serious conversation about the thing we keep talking about. "What would life look like if we sold our current home, moved into more of a neighborhood, and simplified our lives a bit. "

 I'm writing about this to hopefully some day look back at this with confidence saying "we made the right choice"...

We love our current home. It is beautiful, unique, and tranquil. We are almost self-sustaining with a large garden, hens, and an orchard of fruit trees which we (mostly Ryan) built from nothing.There is a sparkling pool and several seating areas for entertaining and enjoying the mountain views. 

Our lives are insanely busy in this season - and I don't see them getting any slower in the future as our children grow and start to do activities. We don't really find ourselves enjoying the amenities our home provides. Instead, they have become burdensome. Also, Ryan actually spent more time living in other places than in this home. (We went through a deployment and several long TDYs while living in this house.)

In the month of August I added up that Ryan and I spent 15 hours doing yard work, and our yard still looked like shit. :D If we lived in a neighborhood with a more manageable property - 15 hours of yard work would have created a pristine landscape!

So alas, we came to the conclusion we would put our home on the market. Which required some long days and late nights of getting the house ready to show. 

We put it on the market last Friday and by Saturday afternoon it was under contract! We have until December 10 to find a new place to land. 

Which at this point as I write this post - we are under contract on a home I feel is the perfect one. It's in a cul de sac neighbor with sidewalks, it's an updated modern home, but it lies on 1 acre so we can still have privacy and a garden! (I don't know if I can go back to buying vegetables at the grocery store!) 

We both feel in our hearts we are making the right choice for our family. I'm so excited to have a little more simplicity in managing our household! We have no regrets on the place we called home for 5 years. It served a great purpose and it will make a new family very happy. 

With all that being said - the next 40 days are going to be insane. But we will get through!!

Comments

That is exciting that you are under contract on the home you sent me yesterday! Being on a cul de sac will be so nice! We aren't on one, but our road dead-ends into the cross street since there is a creek on the other side of those houses so we don't have much traffic which is nice. Plus there is a thoroughfare on the other end of our block, so people don't take the street north of us unless they live in the area. So all in all, it's a good location! Having kids really changes your life in ways you can't predict. It's a huge time commitment and that doesn't really seem to ever change as you become busy in different ways. So I can understand why you need something that requires less maintenance. You only have so many hours in the week and some of those hours should be spent relaxing and enjoying the life you have created, in my opinion! I had to stop having a garden this past year as it was just too much to try to get over to the community garden throughout the week. We might put one in our backyard in a spot where there are flowering bushes but we'll see. It's nice that your yard has space for a garden so you can create one again!

I hope everything goes smoothly but I really think it will. Buying and selling is stressful, but having the offers accepted on both sides is huge! We were lucky to be able to buy before listing our house (which we had to do since inventory is so low in our neighborhood and it took almost 2 years to find a house!). So we didn't close on the sale of our house until almost a month after we had moved into this house. But we are in the minority as I know many people buy and sell on the same day!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c