Skip to main content

Don't talk to strangers

Remember as a child, there was that blanket statement of "Never talk to strangers". Well, I'm not a child any more...but I still follow that rule. I actually like that rule, and wish others would follow it.

Nothing irritates me more than standing in line at the grocery store, and the man in front of me saying "I see chili peppers, meat, tortillas, and avacados....SOMEONE'S MAKIN TACOS"!

I want to respond saying "No. I'm not. I just bought ingredients to make tacos. But I'm going to put these together to make lutefisk and lefse. Dumbass."

But my "Real-time Response" still isn't very nice. It' would usually go, "Yep. No kiddin." And then I'd roll my eyes.

When I get home from the day, and my neighbor is sitting outside smoking -- I grab my cell phone and start faking a conversation to avoid having to talk to him and hear his voice.

Sometimes, on the airplane, my I-pod dies. (traumatic) But I still wear my headphones. Just so the person next to me doesn't talk to me. (unless it's Ryan, I like talking to Ryan on the airplane. He's fun)

In lieu of this...I have realized that maybe this is something I need to work on? And it's my favorite time of year. (This is where some may think I'm a little *off*)

Lent.

I think Lent is the most wonderful time of year. It's time for us to truly buckle down, work on our problems, and strive towards a better relationship with the Lord. It's the time of year where everyone makes little sacrifices, and although the sacrifices and resolutions are for better their self -- it's all in the goal of becoming a better Chirstian.

And I think that is just beautiful!

So, in addition to trying to focus harder on being a good Catholic, taking more time for prayer, and continuing to center our marriage with Christ. (A cord of three strands is not easily broken -- this versefrom the Bible hangs in our living room).......

I am trying to be a nice person.

You may read this and think, "And you're going to be a NURSE? But, you sound like an antisocial b****!"

However, I am very connectd to my patients, family, friends, loved ones..

I could care less what kind of day the lady on the tredmill next to me is having, however!

But I still need to be nicer.

I don't believe in being fake. Fake is the epitome of TOO MANY-relationships in our society, (sometimes I feel.) And I don't want to become that! But I still need to be courteous.

Does it really take that much energy to tell the annoying man in line at the grocery store, "Yes. I am making tacos. How did you guess? *smile*"

So far -- I have made bounds of improvement. Here are my 2 deeds that I have done (this is hard for me okay? Step 1 is admitting you have a problem, people!)

1) I didn't do the self-check out at the grocery story last week. I went through the real line. And when the check-out person asked how my day was going.....instead of staring at the floor saying "Good." I looked her in the eye and stated, "My day is going well. How is YOUR day going?

2) I passed someone on the highway today. It was a run-down truck going 10 miles below the speed limit. I didn't give him the finger, glare at him, OR shake my head in disgust. I just simply passed him. No road rage included.

I am making leaps of improvement!

Maybe...by the end of the week....I will say "Hi. How are you." to my neighbor.

We'll see.

This is a process, afterall.

Comments

Well done - that is progress. i am not really a 'talk to complete strangers' type of person. I think it can be a waste of time because you are never going to see that person again. But I know that sometimes we encounter people who live very lonely lives, and that interaction we have with them might be one of the best parts of their day. So I try to remember that and be more friendly!!
Marlys said…
Great strides, Abby! Just admitting your weakness is a hard thing to do but very cathartic, don't you think? I have to work on being nicer to the many random sales people who call us umpteen times a day as I'm sure their job is horrible!
Unknown said…
Hey, just remember that Ryan was once a stranger to you! Good thing you talked to him!!!! Good work, though, Abby. A good lesson for all of us. Let us know how this process continues for you!
Mama Nastase said…
I really enjoyed reading this Abby. Lent is one of my favorite times of the year as well!

Maybe it will help you, in your Lenten quest, to remember that Jesus is in all of us. How we treat strangers (even the grubby, umkempt ones) reflects back on us and our relationship with Him.

Regarding your neighbor, you'll probably make that guy's week by saying hi! lol
Momma Bear said…
A process you and I are both going through. I have been working at not being so anti-social...but it is who I am. However, I too can be more friendly to those around me. Lent is a wonderful season to change bad habits into positive experiences. I love Abby, take care and God Bless!

Jan

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c