Skip to main content

Ten on Tuesday

1. What is your favorite piece of furniture in your house?
Our king-sized sleigh bed. Boy that sounds good right now. Especially since I'm sooo sick and I had a 12 hour clinical today, and 7 hours of lecture on EKG's tomorrow. All I want to do is curl up in bed with heating pads and pillows. :-(. Why is it that my toughest semester of nursing school is my "ill-est"? :(

2. If it was raining so hard on a Saturday that you couldn’t leave your house, what would you spend the day doing?
I would search around for ingredients and put together a fantastic soup or stew - slow cook it all day. I would also make home-made bread. And probably bake some cookies. I'd also sip some lemon-tea. Clean the house, organize cupboards, maybe watch a comforting movie like "Pretty Woman" or "Ferris Buellher's Day Off".


3. What was your favorite candy as a child?
Hmm..probably Fun Dips. I remmeber that was my "naughty" thing I'd purchase when Mom & Dad weren't looking. You know - where you lick the white stick, and dip it in pure sour-tangy sugar. I'm going to be honest - I'd still eat a fun dip in a heart-beat. It's been years, though.


4. Did you get an allowance? What was it based on? What did you do with it?
I didn't get an allowance as a kid. I'd get paid if I did something special like stain our big fence, paint a building. But all the chores were just part of living in the house!

Back in Ped's, I had to do an assignment on "Child-Rearing" - and my subject was on allowances/finances. I have torn feeling about allowances. Where do you guys stand, just out of curiousity?

5. Do you have a favorite Etsy store?
Nope. Never been to etsy? I still don't get what it is..... But everything i've seen from "Etsy" is really cool!!


6. Do you prefer time with family or time with friends?
Family!! Hands down. I would take family over friends any day.


7. Looney Tunes, Tiny Toons, or Animaniacs?
To be completely honest, I didn't really watch cartoons as a kid. Saturday mornings (cartoon-time) was spent either at the lakes swimming in the summer, outdoors riding my bike, or just plain talking my Mom's ear off in the morning!


8. Best daytime talk show: Oprah, Ellen, The Doctors, Tyra (ha!), Dr. Oz, or Dr. Phil?
AHHHH NONE! I could mock Oprah's show for hours. It's awkard. This is a blog-post in itself. Dr. Oz/Dr. Phil sicken me. I don't even know what "the Doctor's" are. Ellen annoys me. And I have never watched Tyra! I just don't do daytime.


9. Would you rather have the power of invisibility or the ability to fly?
There are moments where I want to become invisible. But I would much rather be able to fly. I could travel very fast. Plus, it would just be fun and liberating.

 10. Name 1 thing you love about being an adult.
Just having autonomy in general! I have a love-hate relationship with my life-phase right now. It's exciting because I'm making choices on where I will plant my seeds career-wise. But stressful, because of the UNKNOWN. Which "Type-A-Me" doesn't like that dreaded word "unknown". But, I love having total control over my life and my decisions.

Comments

I totally forgot about Fun Dips! I also loved those!

One of my commenters said she got a weekly allowance and they they had to give 10% to church & 10% had to go into savings. I thought that was an interesting concept & a great way to teach your kids about savings & charity.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress too much about your career. if you leave anything from me, learn that everything works out in the end. You can totally re-invent yourself in 5 years if you don't like what you are doing. I mean, I was so sure I was going to work in corporate finance and spent the last 4 years in that field and now I have done a complete 180 and am going down another path. I thikn the important thing is to remember that you CAN change your mind and change your course of direction in life. So hang in there! Hopefully you find out the future w/ the hospital soon so you at least know if you should be looking for jobs at other hospitals! I know how not fun that 'up in the air' feeling is. Just be grateful that you have a 2nd income in your household as that takes some of the pressure off of you! :)
Ashley Gerner said…
Oh Abby...you know we're never really "in control" of our lives. We like to think we are, but someone always has bigger and better plans for us! I got a slap in the face reminder of this...I was torn about what to do with my job/career path, kept asking for guidance, the ole "what should i do" and BAM...now I'm going to be a mom in 7 months! Definitely not even on my radar of plans, but a great reminder that the best things in life never are mapped out...it's the unexpected surprises that make it interesting!!
Like Lisa said...no matter what deicisions you make now, if you realize they weren't the right ones for you, there is no one and nothing that says you can't change your mind or try something else. I think that's how we end up finding our "right fit" in the world...through trial and error. If we all got it right the first time, what fun would be!?!? :) I know that's not comforting for your "type A personality" but take comfort in knowing that everything a) works out in the end and b) happens for a reason!
Take care, and good luck with the last few weeks of nursing school!!!
Marlys said…
After raising 5 kids, I am sure if we had to do it all over again, we would give out an allowance to teach you better management skills. When you were young, we didn't have enough money to hand out allowances - so it just didn't happen! If we had started it with you younger ones, the older ones would have asked "WHY?" Live and learn! And my advice about your future is to rely on God as he already knows the plan he has for you - just pray and ask for him to reveal it. It takes more than one prayer, though, so pray every day about it!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for