First off, I am feeling more "well" this Wednesday. I just finshed my FINAL DRAFT of the Capstone paper, my presentation is complete - and I finished writing all papers for the rest of this course.
Which means...I just finished my LAST PAPER of my undergrad!!!
But, now to my wellness Wednesday. I "So-(y)" don't want to get heart disease! Soy Milk.
As I revealed Monday, I will be beginning marathon training soon. Because I am very paranoid about Bone Health - I am stepping up my "calcium intake".
However, being a little bit Lactose Intolerant - I can't really drink plain skim milk as much anymore.
So, Ryan & I have started incorporating Silk Soy Milk Light into our "Grocery Staples". But, before this plan was implemented - I did a little research on Soy, and here is what I found!
- In 1999, the FDA acclaimed the benefits of Soy Protein to lower LDL (bad cholesterol), Total cholesterol, and Triglycerides.
- Soy Milk has the same amount of Calcium as standard Skim Milk.
- It offers 30% of your RDA (I did a little comparing)
- The protein in soy is created with vegetable proteins only
- which means less loss of calcium through the kidneys (soyabe.com)
- No Lactose for those of us with sensitive stomachs (that's an obvious one...)
- It is a nice source of protein
- It's a little sweeter than regular milk - so it's pretty good on bland-tasting cereal!
- And here's a recipe for a smoothie that I tried for a "Post-Run" breaskfast today!:
- 1 banana
- 1 packet Splenda
- 5-8 strawberries
- 1 cup Silk Light Soy Milk
- handful of ice cubes
- 1/8 tsp vanilla
- Blend it up in a blender and enjoy! :)