This 2011 started out with many changes - and they weren't even by choice. It is incredible to me to realize how drastically different my life is now that I work nights. And I am so thankful I'm such a tight scheduler -- for it may be my only method of survival.
Here are a few things I've learned that can be applied to no matter what schedule I ever experience....
- Cherish every moment you get. Every moment you get with your family. Every moment you get with your loved one. Prior to working nights, I was going "through the motions" BIG TIME. I took for granted the time I got to spend with Ryan. Now that we only get to sleep in the same bed, wake up together, eat normal meals, etc. a few nights a week -- I am sooo thankful on "normal nights".
- Exercise restores energy. 4 days/week, I get my booty into the gym or out on the running trails and I burn off all the stress I've built up!!The first 5 minutes into my work out -- I feel completely restored and alive!
- Vitamin D is your friend. Just a few minutes of sunshine -- works wonders. Trust me on this.
- The B-Complex Vitamins from Trader Joe's are fantastic. I have started taking one when I wake up. ***Disclaimer: your pee might look like you drank a Bic highlighter. Don't freak out though.
- Melatonin is your friend. Unfortunately, I now cannot fall asleep without it. Ever. But, if that's what it takes for me to get my 5 hours (which used to be 7-8 hrs....) -- I'll do it!
- Italian Roast EXTRA BOLD Starbucks beans = yum. And....if you bring in your empty bag to Starbucks, you get a free coffee!!
- Planning out your meals before the week starts, you'll cook better, eat better, save money, and probably have fantastic left overs (since you planned ahead). (instead of just throwing something in a pan at the last minute....which I have been notorious for)
- You don't have to clean your entire house in one day. No one gives you a gold medal if you did it. Also, no one is going to fine or punish you for doing one room a day. I have instilled a "Bathroom cleaning day", "Kitchen day", and "Floors/dusting day".Since cleaning destresses, it's nice to do a litte each day.
- Cucumbers are not only a great snack, but are AMAZING in your eyeballs!! If your eyes burn, and you have garbage bags under you eyeballs -- lie down, place cucumbers on face for just 5 minutes.
- Live your life as you are, and don't worry what your neighbor's may think. If they have a problem, they can just simply ask "Why are you in your birkenstocks and flannel pj's getting the mail at 2:30pm??? Are you some sort of hermit depressed person??!!"