I was very blessed with love that day, however. My husband even sent me a present (which he probably had to set up before he leave for officer school)-- I got a brand new GPS watch. And it has more bells and whistles than I know what to do with! My coworkers gave me the sweetest card, and a fruit tart (they knew the health nut in me wouldn't get excited about a cake). I left work and went out for drinks and appetizers with 3 of my dearest girlfriends. The night was filled with laughter that left me with sore cheeks from the smiles.
It was bittersweet, as all I really wanted was a birthday hug from my husband. But in a few days I will get that!
So I don't do New Years Resolutions typically, but this year I'm trying goals for Year 25! It's going to be an interesting year. Changes to my husband's training leaves us with a year where most of it will be spent apart. But we are young, we are madly in love, and we will get through this!
So here goes the goals:
- See the beach. It's been well over a year since my feet has touched the ocean sands, and I miss it.
- Really start "running smart" - I'm not getting any younger. I can no longer go for a 10 mile run without warming up or stretching. I need to start exercising smart - I had 2 injuries in "Year 24". I don't want to keep that trend going!
- Be a better Catholic. I've been working on this one during Lent. My job makes me work weekends -- and that makes it really easy to be not-so-great at attending mass. I've started scheduling time with God, just like I schedule work/social life/work outs!
- Cut out the sweets! I was in a habit where I would have some small form of desert every evening. Be it candy, a piece of chocolate, smores, or a bowl of ice cream. That is not neccessary! If I'm hungry at night -- I need to put good things in my body.
- Enter the world of the ICU (that's Intensive Care Unit). Not as a patient. (ha!) As a nurse. In 2 years I'm going back to school to become a Family Nurse Practitioner, and I feel ICU experience is super crucial.
- Run a marathon. (I can hear my Mom letting out a sigh of disappointment here.) But I'm training smart, and I have a great podiatrist now! No need to worry.
- Perfect my Red Curry. Thai cooking is something I've really started to enjoy. I would like to throw a dinner party one of the times when Ryan is home this year to unleash it!
- Paint my master bathroom. Oh, my stomach turns at the thought of this. I loathe painting bathrooms!