Skip to main content

Year 25

Wednesday I "celebrated" my birthday. Let's just rephrase that, and say I turned 25. I worked on my birthday. I should've known it was going to be brutal. I tend to be the "black cloud" of my ER -- and sure enough, it was a "black cloud" kind of day. It was a wild and crazy day -- but I am thankful that my job never leaves me feeling bored!

I was very blessed with love that day, however. My husband even sent me a present (which he probably had to set up before he leave for officer school)-- I got a brand new GPS watch. And it has more bells and whistles than I know what to do with! My coworkers gave me the sweetest card, and a fruit tart (they knew the health nut in me wouldn't get excited about a cake). I left work and went out for drinks and appetizers with 3 of my dearest girlfriends. The night was filled with laughter that left me with sore cheeks from the smiles.

It was bittersweet, as all I really wanted was a birthday hug from my husband. But in a few days I will get that!

So I don't do New Years Resolutions typically, but this year I'm trying goals for Year 25! It's going to be an interesting year. Changes to my husband's training leaves us with a year where most of it will be spent apart. But we are young, we are madly in love, and we will get through this!

So here goes the goals:

  1. See the beach. It's been well over a year since my feet has touched the ocean sands, and I miss it.
  2. Really start "running smart" - I'm not getting any younger. I can no longer go for a 10 mile run without warming up or stretching. I need to start exercising smart - I had 2 injuries in "Year 24". I don't want to keep that trend going!
  3. Be a better Catholic. I've been working on this one during Lent. My job makes me work weekends -- and that makes it really easy to be not-so-great at attending mass. I've started scheduling time with God, just like I schedule work/social life/work outs!
  4. Cut out the sweets! I was in a habit where I would have some small form of desert every evening. Be it candy, a piece of chocolate, smores, or a bowl of ice cream. That is not neccessary! If I'm hungry at night -- I need to put good things in my body.
  5. Enter the world of the ICU (that's Intensive Care Unit). Not as a patient. (ha!) As a nurse. In 2 years I'm going back to school to become a Family Nurse Practitioner, and I feel ICU experience is super crucial.
  6. Run a marathon. (I can hear my Mom letting out a sigh of disappointment here.) But I'm training smart, and I have a great podiatrist now! No need to worry. 
  7. Perfect my Red Curry. Thai cooking is something I've really started to enjoy. I would like to throw a dinner party one of the times when Ryan is home this year to unleash it! 
  8. Paint my master bathroom. Oh, my stomach turns at the thought of this. I loathe painting bathrooms!

Comments

Lisa's Yarns said…
I am glad you had a fun birthday despite having a long, busy day at work! Celebrating with girlfriends hopefully helped take your mind off the fact that the most important person in your life wasn't there...

That is a great list of goals! I can't wait to see which marathon you end up doing. I have definitely gotten smarter about training as I've gotten older and I've found what works best for my body, so hopefully you find the same as you train for this next marathon!
Amber said…
Glad you had a great birthday despite a long day of work! How sweet your husband arranged for a present to be delivered to you. Those are great goals!
Marlys said…
That was so sweet of Ryan to have a present arrive for your birthday as I know he has been so busy! It's hard for me to believe that you are a quarter of a century old already! Your goals sound awesome and I hope you attain them all!

Popular posts from this blog

ABC

We are home from a wonderful, extended-weekend-getaway to Omaha. It was filled with family, relaxations, and greatness. I will do a more detailed recap on it soon! In the meantime, I'm doing this ABC bit that I stole from my cousin 's blog! Also, no -- I did not get switched to days. Trust me, I would've told the entire world and screamed it from roof-tops if I did. A. Age: 22, but that will change on Sunday. B. Bed size: King C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the shower - especially dealing with hard-water stains. Lime away=ouch D. Dogs: Really really really really really dislike. Really dislike. Sorry. I could do a post in itself about my dislike for canines. E. Essential start to your day: Bowl of oatmeal/or cereal with bananas. Or fruit F. Favorite color: Greeen G. Gold or silver: Definitely silver. H. Height: 5'4'' - Sometimes I lie & say 5'5''. Some people lie about their weight, age, haircolor...I lie about my height. I...

Let's try this again...

Last year we purchased soil, mulch, and all these plants that grow great in well-watered, rich-soiled areas. Then we went away for a weekend, and everything dried up like a prune. I was a bit disappointmented, as gardening is a hobby & passion of mine. In fact, I became quite frustrated with our hot climate. But we did some research on desert plants, and I found a new love! Desert plants are quite fascinating, actually. Their tough outer skin & small leaves result in maximum absorbtion of our spare water -- allowing them to thrive on little. They are also extremely regenerative. You can cut a branch or an arm off a cactus, and plant it in the ground somewhere else to create a new plant. So we found a very local cactus nursery last weekend, and got to work! Here are a few of the gems we planted. (These are pictures I've found offline, as I haven't taken proper pictures of our front yard yet due to the immaturity of our plants at this point) The Desert Barrel ...

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for...