Skip to main content

A Few of my Favorite Things: Summertime Edition

Besides all the fun I'm having discovering our temporary new "home" -- I've mostly been using that as a distraction. Let's just say it's been a frustrating few weeks on the side. It is not easy to work in TX with an AZ nursing license, through an agency in CA, who's compliancy company is in FL.

However, things are finally coming to terms and I hit the ground running tomorrow! I have never been so excited to save lives! I miss the ER. This may sound very weird, but every time I hear ambulance sirens...my heart would sink.

"I want to help!!! *tear*", I would say.

It's amazing what a 3 week hiatus from working will do to this girl. Let me tell you, I am not feeling rejuvenated . I used to think I wanted to live in the 1940's -- where women were trophy wives, homemakers, and wore adorable house dresses. I take than statement back!

So to adorn this post with a little positivity, here are a few of the things that bring utter joy and happiness to my soul, in regards to summer. Summer ties with Fall as my favorite season. I like them both equally but for completely different reasons.

  • Swimming in the lake. I could stay in the water from sunrise to sundown. I didn't care how pruney my hands became or how blue my lips would get. (We lived in MN, and it was rare that the water was warm)
  • Swimming as an adult -- I miss our pool in AZ (and everything else about our house). Afternoons of sunshine, books, good music, friends, margaritas, and guacamole bring me great happiness.
  • Natural highlights -- every summer my hair gets blonde highlights from the sun. For the past few years I'ved dyed it, but this year I'm letting it go natural.
  • The smell of sunscreen. *ah, the nostalgia*
  • Cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden. Growing up, the centerpiece of our meals would be a huge plate of fresh produce from my Mom's garden. You can't say you don't like cucumbers & tomatoes until you've tried them fresh from a garden! 
  • Banana popsicles. My favorite variety of popsicle - and it's funny I like these so, because I hate bananas.
  • Flip flops. Although I do wear these year-round in Tucson....
  • The Aroma of fresh-cut grass. I don't get this treat very much in AZ. But living in San Antonio I do, and it's heavenly. (however, it does make me sneeze like non-other)
  • Evening walks. Because the sun stays out later....I relish in the late evening walks to unwind.
  • Gin and Tonics with lime. Nothing cools you off like the refreshing bite of a G & T, I must admit.
What are your favorite things about summer? This list could go on and on!  Here's a photo that beams summer happiness to me (it was taken Memorial Day weekend camping)



This quote is rather fitting.






Comments

I miss having access to fresh fruits and veggies from a garden! Farmer's markets fill the void, but it's just not the same! And Grandma & Grandpa's raspberry bushes. I whined so much about having to pick them, but now I pay a ridiculous amount for a tiny container at the grocery store and want to punch my younger self for being so whiny about fresh, delicious raspberries.

Some of my favorite things about summer are fresh produce, time spent in the lake, the run club season (when I lived in Minneapolis), banana popsicles (totally with you on them being the bomb.com), margaritas, rhubarb slush (I can't wait to have some when I am home), being at the lake, and the longer hours of sunshine!
Marlys said…
Loved your post! I, too, love summer and even the sticky, sweaty days they bring! I love being at the lake, as you both do, as it quiets my inner soul and refreshes my inner being! Why, I can't answer that, but something about a body of water that can't be put into words. I love blooming flowers, and all the fresh produce, especially the fruit! I miss having a garden and all the great produce, especially green beans, cucs, cantaloupe & tomatoes! I love eating sweet corn, potato salad, and grilled food! But in the north, summer is so fleeting that I want to capture it and never let it go. Does it have drawbacks? Yes, MOWING LAWN!! Mowing almost 4 acres a week is exhausting!
Unknown said…
Fun post! I remember you as a little kid swimming in the lake ALL DAY!

Here's a little helpful hint to make those G&T's even better. Use tonic water to make ice cubes. Try it, you won't be disappointed!!!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for