Skip to main content

Winged: So Long, San Antonio!

Last Friday, Ryan got his wings pinned. He is now officially a military rated pilot. Pretty cool. When he was 17 years old, he signed up for the Air National Guard. He had one goal: to become a pilot for the Air Force. From there, every decision he made had that goal in sight. He chose electrical engineer, he got an internship (and then a job) in the defense industry, he worked as an Avionics technician on F-16's, we moved to Tucson to get to a different base where there were more opportunities.....9 years later, those wings were pinned on!

9 years of some amazing experiences. I've been a part of it for 6. The amazing part is...this is only the beginning! So many years lie ahead of us, and I cannot wait to see what the future holds.

The weekend went perfect. Everything from our time spent with his family to the ceremonies was just perfect. It was wonderful to have both his parents there. It was also really cool to see his Dad give him his "blood wings".

A little military history for you...."Blood Wings" dates back to WWII, where when a military pilot got his wings 'pinned' on, they didn't just simply "pin it". They placed the pin, and punched that pilot in the chest HARD. Often times, the punch was so hard that their chest would bleed. Hence, "blood wings". Regulations about "hazing" has calmed this ole tradition down.

Where was I? Oh, yes...his Dad! Ryan's Dad had an important impact on him growing up, who retired from the Air Force several years ago. So it was cool to see his Dad get to do that. His Dad drove 12 hours to be there for this!

I will let the pictures do the talking for the weekend.....

Ryan and his Dad after the ceremony. Don't they look alike?!

Ryan and I prior to the luncheon. I find him to be very handsome in his dress blues.

Ryan getting his "Blood Wings". Chris was too nice to give him any blood though ;)

Ryan and his Mom!
 
 
It was an emotional day, I must say. It was just full of lots of happiness and excitement. I really felt like my heart was pouring over with blessings.

So, I am writing this blog post to you from HOME. Not home, as in hotel room..but home as in HOME in Arizona! I will be doing a follow up post soon, just recapping my reflections on this experience. I will also be pouring my heart out on how much I can relate to Dorothy (Wizard of Oz, Dorothy), who said "There's no place like home...."

This week is pretty dang crazy though. Got home, cleaned the house and got it back in order, preparing for a dinner party Thursday night with Ryan's old boss, then a party Saturday night where we will be having about 40 guests. Oh, and I returned to work after my LOA and got put on a huge product....and was told "Oh, the bulk of your research needs to be done by Monday."

Life is full! Life is good!

Comments

Marlys said…
Cool post, Abby! I wish we could have shared in the joy of that day, but know our hearts were with you! It was great that his Dad could pin on the wings - very meaningful! And you do have a full plate so hope all goes well! How much research do you have to do? Oofta!
I did not know about the blood wings thing! Ouch! I wouldn't have had the heart to give blood wings either. I am so glad that both of his parents were there on that special day. We are all so proud of Ryan!!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c