My favorite thing that is a'brewin' is our prickly pear infused liquors! But there will be a post to come on that soon. I'm pretty stoked about it, though! We are actually harvesting plump, juicy, red prickly pears from our cactus, and infusing them in mason jars w/ vodka and agave nectar.....
More to come that!
Over the weekend, I tried to make comfort food for my husband who went on night shift starting the 4th of July. Right now our schedule couldn't be more opposite. He wakes up as I go to bed. But that's okay - we still live in the same household, and this schedule is temporary!
A few of my comfort creations were:
- Salted Puppy Chow (sea salt, pretzels, puppy chow, #crack) - I made 2 big batches of this. One which I brought to the 4th of July party I went to, the other I sent with Ryan to work.
- Crockpot lasagna - super easy, super delicious! Why have I never tried making lasagna in a crockpot before? (being last summer I lived in a hotel and cooked everything in a crockpot)
- Pesto Turkey Burgers - my random creation tonight, which I will share. My basil plant is producing like crazy, so I'm using it a lot so it keeps producing!
- ground turkey (I used 93%/7%) 1 lb
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp balsalmic vinegar
- 1 handful spinach (1/4 cup?)
- 1 egg
- 1/8 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Mozzarella cheese slices
- Finely chop up the spinach & basil leaves. Stir it with onion, garlic, egg, vinegar, & olive oil.
- Mix in the ground turkey. Still well.
- Form into patties. (My secret is to try to make a "well" in the middle)
- Spray hot grill with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Evenly grill both sides.
- Add slices of mozzarella - allow to melt.
- Serve on a bun or a bed of spinach if you don't have any buns! ;) Goes really well with sliced tomatoes!
The more interesting the burger, the more I like it! I find it impossible to just make a plain burger these days. It has to have spinach, basil, or feta in it! So much more flavor!
What's your favorite way to have a burger?