Skip to main content

Lunchable Mom

Dearest Baby Namaste, 

One of the interesting topics of the first months of carrying you was "the reveal". Who are you going to tell? How are you going to tell them? When are you going to tell people? What if people find out? 

This is a big topic I had minimal understanding of until I saw those 2 lines on the pregnancy test. For the instant I realized I was pregnant, I literally wanted to climb onto the rooftop and tell the entire world. I was bursting with excitement.  

Nowadays revealing this exciting news carries great pressure. You cannot simply tell people, "Hey guess what? We're finally going to have a baby." There seems to be this need to make it a production, a parade, an entourage, maybe a video montage? Definitely tshirts.  

In case you didn't know this....the reveal is your 1st test of "What kind of parent will you be?

Will you be the Mom that sends your child to school with a non-GMO organic lunch where the sandwich is in shapes of their favorite superhero? (Video Montage Reveal) Or are you sending your child to school with a Lunchable and a bruised apple ("We're expecting!" generic post on facebook)? 

Will your child have a private running coach? (Pink balloons released to sky at fancy reveal party with your minimum 50 guests). Or will you tell your child to chase the chickens in the backyard until they're tired? (Just telling people "it's a girl!" when they ask

Which mother will you be: Homemade Costume Mom? Or Sheet-over-the-head ghost costume Mom?

The big pregnancy reveal determines this, apparently. (Please sense my extreme cynicism. I don't believe any of this to be true).

I waited to tell my closest friends in person because I wanted to see their facial expressions. For many, one of their 1st questions was "How will you reveal it???" 

Uh....tell people? 

I've never been a cutesy, creative, home-made, crafter. 10 years ago when we first got married, I wanted to show Ryan I was a cute wife, so I bought supplies from Michaels and made a wreath. That wreath still hangs on our door every Christmas, mostly because I spent $60 and 4 hours on the thing, and I will make damn sure I'm the full moneys worth on it.  

One of my friends insisted on helping me make a bandana for Miles and a onesie for our reveal - and I did not argue if someone wanted to do the work! (And I am eternally grateful for this dear friend who is so creative and crafty!) 

So here is what we came up with -- and I must say was pretty dang adorable. But had there been no prompting, I would not have done this. 

(Miles is staring at Ryan who is holding a carrot in order to get him to look so perplexed :D)
(Even the chickens made some sort of appearance in the reveal)

(Miles does not look so sure about this new adventure.)

And this t-shirt sums up our 1st 10 years of marriage.
This year we are in year 11, and people quit asking. I assume they gave up on us. 


Now that we know the gender, the pressure of "how are you going to reveal???" I've even received disappointed responses when I said we aren't going to have a party and there will be no pink or blue confetti or explosions. 

Basically, when people ask me in a face-to-face conversation? I tell them. (I'm such a lunchable, ghost-costume Mom already. I'll probably let our daughter eat fruit rollups from time-to-time. Shame

No tannerite. No balloons. No pink fairy dust. Just "Yep! It's a girl! We are so happy!" 

And that does not mean we aren't excited about having a girl. I just don't have the energy to do some fancy reveal. 

This is not to shame or criticize those who do choose to release balloons into the sky and blow up teddy bears of blue tannerite to tell the world the sex of their child. You do you! And if you have the energy and planning ability to organize that? Party on! 

Right now I am just trying to spend any free moment that I'm not working, writing my capstone, running, tending to the chickens, or vomiting --- reading up on what in God's name a Haakaa is, or how many attachments one must purchase for a stroller to take your child outside of the house safely, and how to get your baby to sleep during the night. (All things I still haven't found the answers to...

I tell you what - when Baby Namaste does grace this world with her presence...if we crack the code of sleeping 8 hours a night? Consider yourself invited to the biggest party of the year...where we will release balloons into the sky filled with tannerite, and there will be a giant sign exclaiming this exciting news! 



Until then? We are having a girl. And we are so excited ;) 

With Love,

Your Lunchable-Serving Mom 


Comments

Ha. We are similar in this regard. I am not crafty and I am not a Pinterest mom and I don’t really believe in gender reveal parties personally. You do you if that is your thing but Phil would NEVER go for that. It’s just not our style. For our first pregnancy, I posted a photo of the ultrasound photo and the one shoe I got at our wedding shower that said ‘you’ll never know who this is from until you need the other one.’ I called it good enough. This time Phil didn’t want to do a big social media reveal (he hates social media and is so private). So we have told people as we’ve seen them and have called that good enough. And we didn’t do anything special when we found out the gender of Paul. I told Phil over the phone when he was at work. We are so boring. Ha!! But this is one of many ‘you do you’ decisions of parenting. We tend to be super low key about basically every single thing! But we are both super type A frugal people and Phil is just soooo private and soooo not into big to dos!

But I think back on our childhoods and we had homemade cakes (that were delicious) and the best part of my birthdays was getting to pick what mom made for dinner that night. And none of our nieces and nephews had these huge fancy parties with cakes from fancy bakeries. They got to pick their meals which meant brats and mac’n cheese or tacos. And the celebrations were great and special. I think a lot of moms love throwing elaborate parties or gender reveal parties because it’s something they enjoy. But I don’t like it when it’s made out to be for the child because it’s really more about the mom. And yes it’s motivated by their love of the child but it’s not like a toddler understands what all they are doing or can distinguish between a bakery cake and mom’s homemade cake! Now I just sound judgy and I guess I am not I just kind of hate the pressure on moms to do all this over the stop stuff!!! So consider be a card carrying member of the lunchable mom club!!!
Marlys said…
I think I know where you inherited these traits! I’ve never been a big planner of parties and such, and wonder how many hours people stay up planning these events. I am just so excited you’re having a girl and try to picture who she’ll resemble. I have a feeling she won’t be too girly girly, but I could be wrong! Anyhow, your reveal was great and Mikes did so well! He’ll be a great big brother.

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c