Skip to main content

Pineapples & Tums

 I haven't been writing too much about my pregnancy, because honestly, I don't have a lot to report. 

At my last OB appointment, my doctor said "You're one of my most boring patients I'm seeing these days. Keep it up!" Which is the best thing I could ask for... 

I'm currently 33 weeks and 2 days along. Not that anyone's counting. The baby is the size of a pineapple (those fruit comparisons make zero sense to me, by the way...). 

But here are some updates that maybe I'll look back on in my future pregancies...

Symptoms: Heartburn, Restless Legs, and Insomnia. 

I'm having to be really careful about what I eat and when I eat - or I'm up all night with agonizing heartburn. It is not uncommon for me to be pacing the halls of our house chomping on Tums at 2am lately. 

I always have wicked restless legs at night. No matter how much I stretch and try rolling out my calves - my legs seem to contort Emily Rose Exorcism style. 

Ryan got me a Pregnancy & Beyond cookbook, and it had a recipe for your own electrolyte concoction and I tried that and it actually seems to be helping! It has coconut water, a little OJ, fresh squeezed citrus, and salt. I've been having a small glass in the evenings.

Cravings: Peppermint Tums. Ha! I don't actually crave that. But I seek heartburn relief. 

Other than that - vinegary salads are sort of my jam these days. I take cucumber, greens, feta cheese, avocado, and walnuts - and toss it with lemon and oil.

I also eat a lot of fruit these days. (oranges, kiwi, green apples, and lemon...yes, I said lemon) 

Aversions: I have to admit... I still don't love coffee like I used to. It isn't necessarily an "aversion" - but I rarely can finish a full cup these days. I used to consume so much coffee. 

Exercise: I'm still running, but that has significantly reduced in the last 2 weeks. I am starting to transition to more of a run/walk pattern. Especially after I hit 3 miles. Nothing is uncomfortable, I just notice I am getting more out of breath so take more walking breaks!

And I'm doing 2 Barre classes/week still - which has been awesome! Those workouts feel great and I truly feel they are helping keep my back from hurting. 

Worries:  I worry there will be issues getting my husband into the hospital with me. I worry the hospital will be a freaking warzone the day I give birth. I know for years women gave birth with no support person, and they all survived - so I am being extremely privileged here. But, I really just don't want to do this alone. 

Those worries far surpass any worries about childbirth or bringing a child into the world. 

Favorite Part: My favorite part of being pregnant right now is her constant movement. There are very few moments I don't feel her kicking and moving around these days - which is the best reassurance ever. However, when I feel her kicking and twisting at 3 am...it makes me wonder what kind of "sleeper" she won't be ;) 


Comments

The size comparisons never made any sense to me either. It seemed to switch between length and weight approximations! But still made no sense or gave me a good idea of how big he was. So bizarre.

I hope things go ok when you deliver and you don’t have any issues at the hospital with Ryan coming or there being Covid cases on your floor! Sucks to worry about that in the midst of everything else. Isn’t it weird to think husbands were never there historically? I can’t imagine!!!
Marlys said…
I hope the remaining weeks go well, but know the discomfort increases as you get closer to delivery. You’re tough so I know you will do well! I so hope Ryan can be there to hold your hand and share in the joy of seeing your child for the first time! Luckily, your Dad was present at all of our births except Chad. He was with me during labor, but when I moved to the delivery room, he was sent to the waiting room. It was torturous for him, as for myself, as I so wanted him beside me. He saw Chad after he’d been cleaned up bundled in blankets and through the nursery room window. How awful is that?

I admire that you can still run! I would never had been able to do that as I felt so clumsy and was afraid to topple! I did take walks but that was it. I’m sure it does help to take that class to strengthen your last few weeks of my pregnancies, I slept on the couch so I could press my back against the back of the couch, but my babies were pretty big, so I’m sure that’s why I was uncomfortable.

Keep us posted as to how these last weeks go! We are so excited for both of you and send our love through the airs!

Popular posts from this blog

What is your color?

Green My favorite color ever! I have to control myself to not purchase too many green things. If I had no control, my house would be green. My kitchen would be lime-themed. With greenery everywhere. My bathrooms would be green. My bedroom would be green. You would all feel nauseated-green after entering my home. (So I don't have a green-themed home) Many things I love are green, such as: Spinach (I eat it a minimum twice a day usually) My weding color was green. (clover green) Limes (I have at least one time a day) Grass. I love the feel of grass, especially since I see it so rarely in AZ (except in my neighborhood that has amazing landscapers with grass-galore) Palm trees. Any tree. Christmas trees. I love Christmas Green Beer. I think the green beer on St. Patty's Day tastes better. My favorite color of eyes. When I was in 9th grade, I so badly wanted to get green contacts. But they made me keep my brown eyes. Diet Mountain Dew (my guilty pleasure) Granny Smith

Currently - May edition

   I haven't blogged much - but the last time I did one of these, Maddy was 9 months old. It's really fun looking back on the things that were "stressors" to me at that time. Prior to that - my currently post was a pregnancy edition.  So here goes May 2022. Maddy is almost a 15-month old and summer has set ablaze here in Tucson.   Reading :  I really wish I had a better answer for this one, but I have not been the best about reading lately. The only book I'm reading is "How to talk to your kids so they'll listen and listen so they'll talk". It is really good. Most of the book is geared more to school-aged kids, in my opinion. But it highlights some great communication skills with children to help them trust you as a parent to be open and honest. Eating: All the smoothies. It has been getting really hot here - and every day when we get home from our stroller run I make a smoothie for Maddy with whole milk, Fage, and fruit - and then a smoothie for

8 Months

 Well, I missed month 1-8. But it is never too late to begin, right? Here is a recap of Maddy at 8 months. (I'm totally stealing this idea from my sister, Lisa. I thought it was so neat that she recaps her son's favorites and happenings every month)   How am I sleeping? Better than I was - but not as good as my peers. It also depends on if I'm teething. Last week, her 2nd tooth was poking through - so she was awake 3 times.  No matter how much I let her cry it out, I cannot seem to cut down her feedings. When I go in there - she is literally pulling at my shirt with her mouth wide open. So clearly she's hungry.  She eats 2 times/night and luckily goes right back to sleep. It is what it is. What am I eating? While we have had breastfeeding and bottle refusal struggles - I am so glad that taking to food as been relatively smooth. We are doing baby led weaning, and Maddy really enjoys most every food I've given her.  Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, apples, and c