I think 2 years ago I did a rant on Christmas shopping, and I figured I'd do a round 2 on "Christmas Rant". Now before you read this (because you'll probably think I'm a spiritless grinch after this post) -- I love the season. I wait anxiously for Black Friday so I can wear Christmas socks, listen to Frank Sinatra Christmas music on Pandora, and almost always carry a candy cane in my purse.
But there are a few things that don't bring me so much "Jolly Joy" during the holidays:
- The crowded grocery store. I don't think I need to elaborate on this one.
- The grocery store's holiday marketing. Keep the baking items in the baking aisle, please. When the chocolate chips & baking soda used to be in the baking ailse -- they are now in some special "Christmas Baking Display". So you learn, and go straight to the "Christmas Display" next time returning to the store...but the "Display" only has selected items. Just keep things in the aisle it's supposed to be, please.
- Blow-up Christmas Decorations. We all love snowmen. We all love Santa. But do we really need to get a blow-up machine that is larger than a semi to truly display our love for Christmas?
- The wife @ your husband's company Christmas party who didn't feel like putting an dress over her slip. So appears to be wearing lingerie. Christmas parties are typically a networking event - where you want to make a positive impression on others (even as the spouse). No one cares to see your cleavage, lady.
- Jingle bells. We had a representative @ our hospital last week who had jingle bell earings & jingle bells on her name badge. Every time she moved her bells rang. This really brought the "grinch" out in many of us. I'm all about the Christmas spirit, but really?
- The awkwardness our media has with the word "Christmas". The crazies who proclaim they are offended by the "Christmas Tree". Really? An evergreen tree that has been around since the 1400's is suddenly offensive. It had never been such a problem until recent years.